Friday, November 25, 2011

Tutaonana Morogoro

As my time comes to an end here in Morogoro, I am saddened to say goodbye but proud to see the change we have made in the lives of the people we have worked with. As my first development project, this experience helped me dispel myths and stereotypes about international development and Africa. Although this experience has shown me I am maybe not ready for a career in international development, it has also reignited a spark and a drive to follow my true passion of advocacy. Whether that will be advocating for children, women, people living with special needs, visible minorities, LGBT individuals, or any other person or group in need, I know that I will continue to support others in a capacity to help them see the best in themselves and life. Every day is a gift.
We met a little 11 month-old in a remote village in the mountains and her little hand would not let go of my HIV awareness dog-tags. It was almost too much.
My experience here in Tanzania has been invaluable. To put into words how this experience has and will continue to affect my life and decisions is a very hard thing to do. I started this blog with a famous quote by Gandhi, “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others,” and now I understand the quote in a whole new meaning. 
 We were the first group of volunteers in YCI's new office in Kilakala, Morogoro and we decided to leave our mark and provide our youth, staff and future volunteers with a sense of who we (YCI) are, why we are here and the beauty of what we do. Julie and I with the help of Duncan and local youth painted a mural to welcome people into YCI's space and offer them not a sight but a feeling of what our home is about. Using a book from home as inspiration, we painted a mural in the hallway. We chose a tree as it is a symbol of growth and strength. A tree alludes home and they are recognized as a sign of life. With its deep roots and exposed limbs trees teach us to hang onto to where we came from and to use that as a base for reaching out into the world and experiencing what life has to offer. As a sign of health, environment, and growth (education), our tree represents our values and where they meet and blend with those of Youth Challenge International. Volunteer. Innovate. Change.
Julie and I hard at work painting our mural
Painting complete and ready for clean-up
Our youth helped us with the opposite wall of words related to YCI and why we are here!
 On Thursday, we held an open house to welcome our partners, volunteers, peer educators, and community members to our new office and express our thanks for their help and open arms. It was a great opening/send-off that included smiles, laughter, and an impromptu dance-off between our drama group, peer educators, and us white people. While the first two groups performed with amazing talent naturally, we decided to make a last minute download of Cotton-Eyed Joe and showed our African friends our “special” moves. They laughed, some children cried.
I got to play with Christian at our open house, one last time. He is too cute and will be missed.
With our hearts on our sleeves we had our last dinner with Mama, Nasreen and Dula and I was very happy to hear one of my duck friends were not the main course! I also said my good-byes to those loyal, web-footed friends of mine I spent so much time getting to know. I will miss Mzungu, Mumble, Gloria, Thing One, Thing Two, Bruce Wayne, Ashes, Julie and Duncan. While I lost Joe, Michelina, and Bobby Joe to the stomachs of the meat-eating members of our household, I will remember them as good friends who sacrificed their lives for the satisfaction of Duncan and Julie’s cravings for meat.
Duncan, Mama Jasmine, Me, Nasreen, and Julie. My Morogoro Family.
The people I have met along this part of my journey will forever have an impact on my life as I will continue to reflect on my time here in Morogoro. I have had the privilege of working with some amazing youth during my time here, who want nothing more than to better themselves, their communities, and their country. From the lessons in selflessness of Frankie to the motivational drive for change of my girls’ club in Chamwino, I hope to bring my new found respect and love for life home to Canada and to share it with all of you.
I want to say thank-you to all of you who helped me get here, those who supported me while I was here, and to those of you who will take this opportunity to examine your own life and maybe reflect on just how much we have, and how very little we need. As I say my goodbyes to underprivileged children and youth and I see how happy and grateful they are for how little they have, I am on the brink of tears out of true enlightenment to life and why we exist.
Joseph and I comparing skin colour, hand size, language and culture and yet we laugh, smile and tickle the same way.
I leave Morogoro having learned so much from so many but the one rule I will live my life by is to love unconditionally, no matter what. Family, friends, people, community, country, health, sun, rain, moon, animals, food, water…and the list can go on. Love life unconditionally and no matter how long you live for it will be a life of purpose and satisfaction knowing that every day you lived and that you were grateful for that because that is enough.

Tutaonana Morogoro, meaning we will meet again.
For now it is goodbye.
Asante.
Rafiki yangu, your friend,

Ben

4 comments:

  1. What does one say after that? WOW...definitely words and thoughts to live by...can't wait to put my arms around you!!! OXOXOXOX MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Ben... So glad you got so much out of this experience... Miss you and can't wait for you arrival home in a few short weeks... Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was truly an incredible journey - not only for you Ben ... but for all of us who benefitted from reading your words of wisdom. You live and breathe the most sincere and life changing mantra ever!
    Safe travels.
    XO CM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I found you guys...I was also in Morogoro during the same time, had an amazing time...Jasmine was my colleague at the municipal office. If you ever want to go back there...or even in other parts of Eastern Africa, hola me I would be glad to join in.
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete