Friday, September 16, 2011

Placement Location: Morogoro, Tanzania


Youth Challenge International is sending eight volunteers to Tanzania this fall on my project and we have been placed in three different locations: Arusha, Zanzibar and Morogoro.

I was placed in Morogoro! I thought I would share a little about my project location with you:

"The city of Morogoro with an urban population of 206,868, lies at the base of the Uluguru Mountains, part of the Eastern Arc chain. Its close location to the peaks makes Morogoro an important stop for hiking trips to the Ulugurus. The mountains are notable for their ancient forests, which botanists estimate to be around 25 million year old — some of the oldest forests on the continent. The ancient woodlands support an incredible array of bird and insect life, as well as diverse plant species. The indigenous Luguru tribe offers cultural tourism programmes around the Ulugurus and outside Morogoro."

Although I won't be in the safari capital of Arusha or on the picturesque island of Zanzibar, I couldn't be happier; being placed at the base of a vast mountain range with miles of trails for me to hike. In my downtime, when we are not working, it will also provide me with a natural environment to train for my kilimanjaro trek that I will be completing in December when we are done our project.








1 comment: