Friday, October 7, 2011

Mambo Tanzania!


Well, I hope everyone at home is well! Sorry for not posting for a whole week but it has been a busy week at that. We are finally getting to settle into our new home in Morogoro but it was quite the journey to get here…

So I was getting ready to put my bags in my car and say my final goodbyes last Sunday when I got a phone call from KLM letting me know they had rebooked all of my flights and connecting cities at the last minute. First reaction, was panic but then I found out instead of Amsterdam I was going to Paris, and instead of KLM, I was flying Air France. Ten years ago I left Barrie on my first international flight to go on exchange for three months to France, so this being my second big international adventure, I was happy to have a little bit of familiarity added to my first leg of the trip.

We arrived in Paris Monday morning and it was time to take that first, dreaded anti-malarial pill that you hear horror stories about but…I was supposed to take it with food, so naturally I went for a freshly baked pain chocolat (which I used to get every morning on my way to school in France). The pill went down and stayed down! With the exception of brief periods of delirium and dazing off for short periods of time I really didn’t feel too bad.

From Paris we flew to Nairobi on Kenya Airways and from Nairobi (where we almost missed our connecting flight) we flew to Dar es Salaam. After going through a very long but friendly process of entering the country and getting travel and work visas (including a power outage), we were meet by our country manager and we were off to the hotel for the night. 

We woke to the sounds of school children, a mosque’s call to prayer and a rooster just outside our window…and then it was time for Orientation!

Meet Team T11-8D!


 There is a lot more to come! I will try to get back on over the weekend with some more updates!

Kwaheri usiku mwema


3 comments:

  1. So happy you made it safely, sounds like your enjoying yourself already, can't wait to here more about your adventures... :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear your voice this morning....glad that your health is good...and these updates are great! Sounds like you are making the most of your experience...keep up the good work! Love you ...Lucy says she misses you OXOXOXO
    Jeff says hello and be careful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies (and jeff),

    Everyday is a journey...

    I will stay safe :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete