Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Nyumba Yangu - My House

Yangu ya nyubani karibu! Welcome to my house!

As you all know I had no idea about my homestay when I left Canada other than YCI would ensure it was a safe residence with running water and at least one person in the family who spoke English. Even when we were leaving Dar es Salaam for Morogoro last week after orientation, we did not know anything more than the three of us in team Morogoro would be in the same homestay.

We took a taxi from the bus terminal through Morogoro and turned off onto dirt roads, traveling through small little areas with clay brick houses, little dukas (stores), and lots of people on foot, bicycle and pikipiki (motorcycles). The closer we got to our homestay the closer we got to the Uluguru Mountains! The scenery was breathtaking and like most awe-inspiring natural wonders my pictures will not do them justice.

We pulled up to a big concrete wall and a solid red, iron gate which was opened by a little woman with a big smile, who I would soon learn is Diana, our dada or house assistant (will do an entire blog on Dada Diana at a later date; we love her).


We drove up the path to a quainte little white concrete house with a red roof and a stunning backdrop of mlimas (mountains). This is my house, yangu nyumba:


It has four bedrooms and two bathrooms with a kitchen, dining room, living room and pantry. We have a rooster (who thinks it's a race in the morning to beat the sun by cock-a-doodle-doing at 4am) named Joe (rooster in swahili is jogoo, so we thought it was fitting), a chicken and six ducks. Aside from our winged friends that live in our yard we also have the pleasure (because of the climate) to have not only a mango (maembe) tree but also an avocado (parachichi) tree, a lemon (limao) tree, an orange (chungwa) tree, guava (pera) tree, palm (nazi = coconut) tree, multiple banana (ndizi) trees and lemon grass. I like to think of it as a vegetarian's paradise, with local vegetables available in the market and on the street.
From left to right: avocado, mango, lemon, orange and palm trees

When we were introduced to our homestay family we were surprised to hear that it was a single mother with one daughter who is off at bordering school. Mama Jasmine is our homestay mother and she is a social worker with the city/municipality of Morogoro. We also have a house assistant or dada (sister) named Diana (pronounced DEEana) who has to be one of the most cheerful, pleasant and selfless people I have ever met. With Nasreen (Jasmine's daughter) off at school, Mama agreed to host us for the next couple months as she feels her house is too big for just her and she enjoys the company.

Duncan and I are sharing a room and Julie has a room just across the hall. We all share a bathroom and a shower room, which sounds luxurious right?! Well, they it is better than an outhouse and a hose but I am missing my toilet and hot water for sure. Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to the squat toilet!
They don't use toilet paper in Tanzania either they use water, you can guess where our first stop was...grocery store to buy some TP!

This is my bedroom, it is cozy but it beats sleeping outside, on the floor, in a hammock, you understand. My bed is on the right, some of you will recognize the duvet cover, which is now my cocoon that I slide into at night, not for warmth but as a back-up to my mosquito net to prevent Malaria by not allowing me to have exposed skin.

I (we) are so happy with our homestay! Mama Jasmine and Dada Diana could not be more hospitable and kind. They are amazing and have made us feel right at home (and they are both AMAZING in the kitchen).

Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed the tour. Fortunately for us we are privileged to stay in a house with four walls, a roof, running water, food, and electricity. The reality is the majority of Morogoro is living well below the poverty line and although I miss a few modern conveniences from home, to see how we are living, even compared to our neighbours, is astonishing. I will definitely reflect more as the days and weeks go on about the reality that is Morogoro and Tanzania but for now I will leave you all feeling warm and fuzzy knowing your Ben is safe and sound in his lovely homestay!

Ok...one more picture of the mountains...just to gloat!

kwaheri na usiku mwema - goodbye and good night



3 comments:

  1. Such an amazing view to live in for the coming months! Even despite the washroom facilities!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing ben... the fruit trees?! and fresh lemongrass?? and the mountains??? all so lovely... xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday my son! Just wanted to let you know that Lucy and I will be celebrating your birthday on your behalf from home....complete with cake and candles...love you and thinking about you on this very special of days....OXOXOX
    Happy Birthday to you enjoy your day!! Love you MOM

    ReplyDelete