Monday, October 24, 2011

Play Day at Home Based Care


Today we went to volunteer with a department of our partnering organization Faraja Trust Fund.
Home Based Care (HBC) is run by an amazing woman named Mama Mrema. Mama and her team of dedicated workers support infants, children and youth that have lost at least one parent to HIV/AIDS to receive health and social support in their homes. It was sad to hear these children have lost a parent or in most cases both however, it became a little overwhelming when she explained the true reality for these children was that they too were all HIV positive. 

Mama invited us to their monthly Play Day where they invite all of their 120 children and youth that they care for to an event at their centre. This event allows the children to get together, visit with their friends, visit with the HBC team and enjoy a full lunch (which a lot of these children do not get on a daily basis). After speaking with Mama about her team and her children in care, I have to say I was bordering an emotional breakdown. To speak to someone so passionate about saving the lives of the children she cares for and to see the reality of HIV and quickly it can take these innocent lives away was humbling and surreal. Mama explained to us that they lost three girls over the past month and she was already dreading the questions at the upcoming play day, “Why didn’t [she] come today?”

The morning of Play Day, all I was thinking about was how I would react emotionally to meeting all of these amazing children battling such a horrible virus/disease. Could I hold it together?!
We left our office Saturday morning with Frisbees (Send Ben to Africa Frisbees of course!), bubbles, crayons, books, and paper in hand to give to the children when we arrived. Our taxi pulled up to the HBC Centre and there were a few children out front playing football (soccer). Of course we got a few stares, as we do wherever we go ( there are few and far between white people or mzungus as they call us) but other than that they were happy to meet us. I walked through the gate and into the courtyard and I was quickly reminded of the admirable resilience and positivity of children. There were roughly 60-70 children all on a big mat playing with broken toys, headless dolls, used colouring books and they were nothing but smiles when we got there. I immediately pulled out the items we brought for them and I was swarmed with little hands.
The children were so excited for new crayons and paper!

I think every one of them gave me a picture to take home. I will be so proud to hang them on my wall!

Mama had asked Duncan (our health expert) to have a chat with the older youth about the importance of taking their ARVs (medications) to help them remain healthy in their fight against HIV. The talk was somber but the youth appreciated the information we provided. Unfortunately, the stigma around HIV is still huge, much like it is back home in Canada. These youth are worried about social rejection if their friends catch them taking ARV or find out they are positive. 

After we shared a meal with the children, YCI treated the older children and youth to an afternoon at Rock Garden. Frank showed up with the Daladala we rented and we were off for an afternoon of fun and relaxation. Rock Garden is a gorgeous park at the base of the mountains that surrounds the river coming down from the mountain. It is nothing but river, rock, trees and other greens. I had to reach out and touch stuff because its beauty was almost unbelievable. I felt like I was on the set of a movie set in a tropical paradise. We bought all the children a soda and they spent time jumping off the rocks and swimming in the river. A family of monkeys even joined us for a while in the trees above.
This little girl was too cute for words.

Although it was squishy my colouring friends wanted me to share their seat on the way to Rock Garden.
 
One of the many little pools the river and rocks create. The boys loved every second of it!
This was an experience I will never forget and these children and youth can really teach us something about life. The next time you ask “Why me?” when you feel something is unfair or unjust, think back to my friends living with HIV that was given to them at birth and just think…

4 comments:

  1. That was heartbreaking Benny, I actually cried at the pics of all those beautiful children. I am so proud of you xoxo miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work! Your passion doesn't only touch them, but us back home as well! I am proud to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You inspire me! Africa is so blessed to have you! Xoxo take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. That you for bringing us the reality check we all need. We are so incredibly privileged, and we need to appreciate everything little bit of that. Thank you for making us proud Benjamin! We love you and miss you a ton. <3 xoxo

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete